Report: California rejects Trump's National Guard plan - The CW San Diego - News 8

Report: California rejects Trump's National Guard plan

Posted: Updated:
President Donald Trump reviews border wall prototypes, Tuesday, March 13, 2018, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci) President Donald Trump reviews border wall prototypes, Tuesday, March 13, 2018, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) — Reports came out Monday that California is rejecting the Trump administration's plan to send National Guard troops to the border.

It's being reported the state argued that the work is considered too closely tied to immigration enforcement.

In a letter addressed to federal officials this past Wednesday, California Governor Jerry Brown announced he would accept federal funding to send 400 national guard troops to the border to "Supplement the staffing of its ongoing program to combat transnational crime."

RELATED: Trump: 2,000-4,000 troops needed for Mexico border security

The governor's statement also said: "This will not be a mission to build a new wall. It will not be a mission to round up woman and children or detain people escaping violence and seeking a better life. And the California National Guard will not be enforcing federal immigration laws."

Less than a week later, reports began circulating that Governor Brown has taken a step back saying those troops will not deploy.

"Calling on the National Guard to be deployed will actually increase more abuse on the border," said Benjamin Prado of San Diego's American Friends Service Committee.

The social justice group Prado is a part of had been critical about sending the National Guard in and Monday they were applauding the governor's alleged decision.

"By deploying so many resources, you start cutting into areas of healthcare, education, housing, which is needed for people that are here, that are living, that are working," said Prado.

RELATED: Sessions takes fight on border enforcement to New Mexico

As details about the issue remained unclear on Monday, News 8 reached out to the National Guard and received the following response:

State officials have not rejected anything since the governor responded to the federal government last Wednesday with the proposed "Memorandum of Agreement Between the State of California and the Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security." The federal government has not yet responded. The next step is for the federal government to respond by signing the memorandum of agreement.

When asked, California's Attorney General Xavier Becerra said, "The governor, that's his jurisdiction completely. I would refer you to the governor on any questions that have to do with the National Guard."

RELATED COVERAGE

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Kamala Harris promises teachers a raise if elected president

    Kamala Harris promises teachers a raise if elected president

    Tuesday, March 26 2019 11:50 AM EDT2019-03-26 15:50:48 GMT
    Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., gestures as she speaks at a campaign event, Monday, Feb. 18, 2019, in Portsmouth, N.H. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., gestures as she speaks at a campaign event, Monday, Feb. 18, 2019, in Portsmouth, N.H. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)
    Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., gestures as she speaks at a campaign event, Monday, Feb. 18, 2019, in Portsmouth, N.H. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., gestures as she speaks at a campaign event, Monday, Feb. 18, 2019, in Portsmouth, N.H. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)

    In the first major policy proposal of her presidential campaign, Sen. Kamala Harris of California is focused on boosting the salaries of teachers.

    In the first major policy proposal of her presidential campaign, Sen. Kamala Harris of California is focused on boosting the salaries of teachers.

  • 4 thrown from car after fiery crash in El Cajon

    4 thrown from car after fiery crash in El Cajon

    Tuesday, March 26 2019 10:49 AM EDT2019-03-26 14:49:13 GMT
    KFMBKFMB
    KFMBKFMB

    Four people were hospitalized Tuesday morning with serious injuries suffered in fiery, rollover crash in El Cajon.

    Four people were hospitalized Tuesday morning with serious injuries suffered in fiery, rollover crash in El Cajon.

  • Man slated to appear on murder charges for Spring Valley alleyway shooting

    Man slated to appear on murder charges for Spring Valley alleyway shooting

    Tuesday, March 26 2019 10:43 AM EDT2019-03-26 14:43:41 GMT
    KFMBKFMB
    KFMBKFMB

    A 22-year-old man who allegedly shot another man in an alley in the La Presa area south of Spring Valley was slated to appear in court on murder charges Tuesday.

    A 22-year-old man who allegedly shot another man in an alley in the La Presa area south of Spring Valley was slated to appear in court on murder charges Tuesday.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WorldNow and KFMBCW. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.